If you have already vowed to marry green, then a wedding location like Irvine Nature Center is the perfect choice for your eco-celebration. What a combination: breathtaking views of the Caves Valley in Maryland, a green-certified building and sustainable event details. Irvine Nature Center is a leading environmental education center located just northwest of Baltimore on 116 acres of woods, wetlands and meadows.
The state-of-the-art, green building is designed to educate and inspire people to explore, respect and protect nature. Your guests will love it whether they are students, family or nature-lovers. Plus, Irvine Nature Center is a nonprofit organization and your facility rental fee becomes a generous donation to fund ongoing educational programs. And that’s not all! When it comes to green weddings, Irvine Nature Center has an impressive list of credentials and policies:
- Approved caterers offer healthy, organic and sustainable menus and also reduce food waste and packaging.
- A green roof, full of plants, is designed to absorb water to slow run-off (and erosion) and also deflects the heat of the sun, which cools the building.
- Water is conserved with low-flow fixtures and rain barrels.
- The surrounding gardens are planted with local, native species to help support native wildlife and conserve water.
- The facility boasts a number of “green” features including the following U.S. Green Building Council LEED guidelines:
- Use of local materials.
- Reduced amount of energy used and emissions produced in acquiring the materials.
- Use of renewable, recycled and salvaged materials for flooring, lights, and cabinetry.
We hope you are inspired to “go green” with your wedding venue. To find a list of eco-friendly wedding venues around the country go to Eco-Wedding.org. For more photos and information on green weddings at Irvine Nature Center, visit ExploreNature.org
Special thanks to the folks at Irvine Nature Center and the wedding photographers who shared their images for being part of our blog.